Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS

anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
18 Apr 1997 01:01:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS toplas@cs.umd.edu (1997-03-31)
Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-04-02)
Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS toplas@cs.umd.edu (1997-04-06)
Re: Lots of things are happening with ACM TOPLAS anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1997-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Apr 1997 01:01:46 -0400

Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu> writes:
> ACM TOPLAS <toplas@cs.umd.edu> wrote:
> > The full text of almost all ACM TOPLAS articles from 1991 on is
> > now on-line in PDF format...
> Couldn't ACM, of all organizations, have the decency and common sense
> to use a non-proprietary data format? Even PostScript (Level 1,
> please!) is far more widely understood than PDF.

One example of how to do it right is the Supercomuting '96 proceedings
CD (although this conference is co-sponsored by ACM SIGARCH): The
papers are on the CD in HTML format (and pretty clean, too, even
x-mosaic 2.6 can display them) for viewing and in Postscript format
for printing. (The only nit I have to pick is that the
table-of-contents is unusable with x-mosaic 2.6 and emacs-w3 2.2.26).

If you want to read my thoughts on PDF, see
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/why-not-pdf.html.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl