Optimization techniques not available for use in free compilers

Mike Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
16 Apr 1997 00:17:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimization techniques not available for use in free compilers meissner@cygnus.com (Mike Meissner) (1997-04-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Mike Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Apr 1997 00:17:41 -0400

Does somebody have a list of all of the optimization techiniques (such
as some of the register coloring algorithms patented by IBM) that for
one reason or another cannot be used in compilers whose source code is
freely available? I would prefer not to start a flamewar on the
merits pro or con of the practice, but at the same time, I don't want
to wander into known trouble areas.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (East Coast)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA