Re: Design of Virtual Machines

oz@ds9.rnd.border.com (ozan s. yigit)
13 Apr 1997 21:42:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Design of Virtual Machines D.C.Page@massey.ac.nz (Dave) (1997-04-03)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines allanmac@blueprint.com (Allan MacKinnon) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines elcm@pacbell.net (Eliot & Linda) (1997-04-06)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines oz@ds9.rnd.border.com (1997-04-13)
Re: Design of Virtual Machines rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1997-04-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: oz@ds9.rnd.border.com (ozan s. yigit)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 1997 21:42:42 -0400

Dave <D.C.Page@massey.ac.nz> writes [in part]:

> I am interested in the design of virtual machines, their architecture,
> instructions sets, the context they were uses in, interpreters and so
> on.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any references to papers/books/web sites
> etc which cover the background and use of VMs.

Everybody will mention the Java VM, but i know of no good reference that
tells you why anyone would design this particular VM. I would also recommend
that you look into DIS virtual machine for the Inferno system from Bell labs
and hope that there is some document justifying its design. [there may be
some linkage with Chris Fraser's work on instruction sets in the past]
[Limbo is Limp but Dis is Cool! --anon]

Here are a few dated references off the cuff that include various virtual
machines, and may be helpful. [Sorry no web refs handy.]

Books:

      Daniel P. Friedman, Mitchell Wand, Christopher T. Haynes.
      Essentials of Programming Languages, MIT Press and McGraw-
      Hill, 1992.

      Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman and Julie Sussman,
      Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, MIT
      Press, Cambridge, Mass., second edition 1996.

      Samuel Kamin, in Programming Languages: An Interpreter-based
      Approach, Addison-Wesley, 1990.

      Timothy A. Budd, A Little Smalltalk, Addison-Wesley, 1987.

Other:

      William Clinger, The Scheme 311 compiler: An Exercise in
      Denotational Semantics, Conference Record of the 1984 ACM
      Symposium on Lisp and Functional Programming, 1984, 356-364.

      R. Kent Dybvig, Three Implementation Models for Scheme,
      Department of Computer Science Technical Report #87-011
      (Ph.D. Dissertation), University of North Carolina at Chapel
      Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, April 1987.

      Marc Feeley and James S. Miller, A Parallel Virtual Machine
      for Efficient Scheme Compilation, Proceedings of the 1990
      ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming, Nice,
      France, June 1990.

oz
---