deriving stack data addresses from ELF files

rms@well.com (richard marlon stein)
16 Feb 1997 23:19:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
deriving stack data addresses from ELF files rms@well.com (1997-02-16)
Re: deriving stack data addresses from ELF files rfg@monkeys.com (1997-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rms@well.com (richard marlon stein)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Feb 1997 23:19:42 -0500

Greetings. I'm in need of a pointer or two regarding the derivation of stack
data addresses by scanning ELF executables. I notice that the SVR4 dump
utility can locate the .stabstr section in the executable I create. In this
section, the names of the variables I declare as stack types appear
here. However, I have no clue as to where they reside in memory when the
program is loaded, in direct contrast to global data items, which have
a fixed address assigned by the linker. Can anyone out there furnish
me with a reference or give advice as to how I can determine the
address of a stack variable after the program is loaded and in
memory by combining/analyzing the data which is furnished in an
ELF file ? Many thanks.
--
Richard Marlon Stein, Internet: rms@well.sf.ca.us