Re: OO compiler design ?

<SCHMIDTG@iccgcc.cle.ab.com>
2 Feb 1997 21:15:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
OO compiler design ? jc@chiinc.com (J-C Le Mentec) (1997-01-16)
Re: OO compiler design ? dittmar@berlin.snafu.de (1997-01-17)
Re: OO compiler design ? R.E.Jones@ukc.ac.uk (1997-01-21)
Re: OO compiler design ? steve@gridlock.demon.co.uk (1997-01-22)
Re: OO compiler design ? krotoff@boy.nmd.msu.ru (Alexander Krotoff) (1997-01-22)
Re: OO compiler design ? stephen@lila.york.ac.uk (1997-01-25)
Re: OO compiler design ? trondro@sn.no (Trond Ronde) (1997-01-29)
Re: OO compiler design ? SCHMIDTG@iccgcc.cle.ab.com (1997-02-02)
Re: OO compiler design ? stephen@lila.york.ac.uk (1997-02-07)
Re: OO compiler design ? p.froehlich@link-m.de (1997-02-11)
Re: OO compiler design ? reali@inf.ethz.ch (Patrik Reali) (1997-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: <SCHMIDTG@iccgcc.cle.ab.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Feb 1997 21:15:03 -0500

Our moderator wrote:

re "Building your own compiler with C++" by Jim Holmes, Prentice Hall. 1995
>[This book came up in discussion a few weeks ago, and the comments then
>said the use of C++ wasn't very good. Anyone else have an opinion? -John]

I wasn't impressed either. Perhaps these are nits, but the author
did not appear to know C++ very well (e.g. was clueless about how to
redirect iostream). Also, as I recall, the code seemed a bit overly
complex as the author implemented a special list class to represent
a simple list in which case his "node" class could have more naturally
represented it as a binary tree.

I found myself wanting to make notes in the book to the effect of "I
wouldn't do it this way, but this other way instead..."

I didn't learn anything by reading the book and the code within the
book. To be fair, this book might be a suitable starting point for
a rank beginner knowing little about lex, yacc, c++, and compilers
in general (although compiler_theory = 0 in this book).

-- Greg Schmidt