Re: RDP on Minix-386

ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
30 Jan 1997 22:34:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
RDP on Minix-386 fjs@mail.netacc.net (1997-01-26)
Re: RDP on Minix-386 aswNS@hamp.hampshire.edu (1997-01-29)
Re: RDP on Minix-386 ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1997-01-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix,comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jan 1997 22:34:31 -0500

fjs@mail.netacc.net (Fred Joseph Scipione) writes:
>One of the porting challenges was when the ACK compiler protested that
>some functions were called with more arguments than its limit.
>Although I have gotten past that problem, I am curious to know if I am
>correct in the assumption that the ANSI spec. explicitly permits a
>limit for the number of arguments to a variadic function? If so, I
>can report the problem as a legitimate "bug" which needs my fix :-).

5.2.4.1 Translation limits
      -- 31 arguments in one function call.

The C standard does indeed explicitly give a limit for the number
of arguments to *any* call. If the ACK compiler accepts 31 arguments
and rejects 32, it is within its rights, and you should thank it for
telling you about a portability problem in the code.

--
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/%7Eok; RMIT Comp.Sci.