Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++

mrs@kithrup.com (Mike Stump)
26 Jan 1997 22:31:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ kikonen@cs.joensuu.fi (1997-01-22)
Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-22)
Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-01-25)
Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-01-26)
Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ mrs@kithrup.com (1997-01-26)
Re: Is LALR(1) or LL(k) parser better for C++ dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-01-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mrs@kithrup.com (Mike Stump)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jan 1997 22:31:26 -0500

> I think that in the end, the LL vs LR decision may pale in
> comparison to the overall size and complexity of the task. My
> parser is now 30k lines of code (and that is low because it uses a
> lot of STL containers). I suspect that size will double before the
> parser is complete, and will double again when enough semantic
> analysis is added to perform complete error reporting.

Gee, ouch! Ours is by no means the perfect C++ parser (g++), but we
have quite a bit of the language in there, and it is only 4,135 lines,
with another 441 lines of random support code. 120k lines for a
parser seems, like a lot, and that is low?

Hum, can I ask what others do for parsing C++? How many lines and at
what level of completeness?