Fast code vs. fast compile

dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
16 Jan 1997 20:14:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Beginner's Question... mihai@A-aod.resnet.ucsb.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (1997-01-16)
Fast code vs. fast compile dennis@netcom.com (1997-01-16)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-01-19)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile mwolfe@dat.cse.ogi.edu (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile mikey@ontek.com (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile conway@cs.mu.oz.au (1997-01-22)

From: dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Jan 1997 20:14:53 -0500

>[Depends on what you're doing. If you're busy debugging and recompiling a
>program, with the output of any particular compiler run only used once or
>twice, you're generally much more interested in fast compilation than fast
>code. -John]

Ug! I just spilled my caffeine free Pepsi all over my desk after
reading that.

As a compiler user, I am (almost) always more concerned about fast
code rather than fast compilation. My makefiles generally build code
with max optimization and I can remember only about a dozen times in
my LIFE that I got myself so confused that I needed to do so many
recompiles that I changed the makefile to make the compile go faster.

Please tell me that I am not the only one.

Dennis
--
dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
[Perhaps you don't work on very large programs. A few years back when I