Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM?

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) <wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com>
2 Jan 1997 23:19:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-04)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? macrakis@osf.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? shellgate!rgh@uu4.psi.com (Richard G. Hash) (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-12)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-02-13)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com (W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)) (1997-01-02)
Re: C vs. Ada performance WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1997-01-03)
Re: C vs. Ada performance walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (1997-01-04)
Re: C vs. Ada performance sutherla@micro.ti.com (Dean Sutherland) (1997-01-07)
Re: C vs. Ada performance ica2ph@alpha1.csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de (1997-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) <wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jan 1997 23:19:09 -0500

I was looking for something else when I stumbled onto this:

> >The reason C is popular with coders is that, generally, they never have to
> >maintain other people's code. I've never met anyone responsible for C
> >language code maintenance who speaks well of the C Language.
> >
> >Anyone out there who LIKES to maintain C code ?
>
> I agree: C is a nightmare, and, as far as I am concerned, C++ is not
> much better. We did have to port and maintain significant amounts of
> C code written by people more interested in their "creativity" than in
> software quality. Needless to say, thay had spent hours making
> functions as obscure as possible by combining exotic glyphs in various
> ways, and looking at modern compilers, their so-called performance
> improvements were neglegible.
>
> Some people claim that it is perfectly possible to write readable and
> well-structured C code, it's just a matter of discipline. I might
> agree to a given extent, but I would rather believe in a language
> where such discipline is enforced by the syntax and the semantics.
>
> Darius
> [This is again straying too far from compilers; we all know how easy
> it is to write awful C code, but I don't see that it has much direct
> bearing on compiler construction. Feel free to show that I'm mistaken
> if I am. -John]

Comparing C with Ada: the amount of semantic consistency required by Ada
and shunned by C is the reason why code optimizers for Ada can do so much
more. (I don't care whether you post this or not. comp.lang.ada has had
several very lucid discussions of this point in recent months.)

W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) Office: 219-429-4923
Hughes Defense Communications (MS 10-41) Home: 219-471-7206
Fort Wayne, IN 46808 (Unix): wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com
[Do Ada compilers really generate better code than C compilers for similar
source code? -John]