Re: Oberon <--> Java translators

Ivan Kellenberger <kellenbe@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
27 Dec 1996 23:26:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Oberon <--> Java translators kellenbe@tik.ee.ethz.ch (Ivan Kellenberger) (1996-12-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ivan Kellenberger <kellenbe@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Dec 1996 23:26:14 -0500

Brent Rowland wrote:

  .> Has anyone written an Oberon-to-Java or a Java-to-Oberon translator?
  .> I prefer the Oberon syntax, and at first glance there seem to be
  .> a lot of similarities. How hard would such a beast be?

The major problem seems that oberon isn't fully object oriented. so
you have to deal with quite a lot of classfiles; one for each type,
record, ... you define in oberon.

  .> Also, I vaguely remember hearing some talk about a compiler from
  .> Oberon to Java byte code. I don't know if it was only proposed,
  .> or if someone actually tried it.

I'm trying to build up an oberon2java compiler at the moment as a
diploma thesis. It should be running by March.

I would be pleased, if everyone who has experiences in this topic
shares them with me.
--

cheers
ivan