Commercial use of run-time code generation?

dietz@interaccess.com (Paul F. Dietz)
15 Dec 1996 16:14:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Commercial use of run-time code generation? dietz@interaccess.com (1996-12-15)
Re: Commercial use of run-time code generation? marlet@irisa.fr (1996-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dietz@interaccess.com (Paul F. Dietz)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Dec 1996 16:14:51 -0500

I've recently read a bit about partial evaluation and run-time code
generation (Massalin's thesis; MIT exokernel, with the more portable
VCODE and `C; DCG).

Is RTCG used in many commercial products? What range of products use
it? JIT compilers and emulators, for example? I don't mean just
compilers that can compile your program into core rather than to disk,
but very lightweight code generators (repeatedly) invoked during the
running of some application program. I am curious how well RTCG works
with current architectures; Massalin's work was on earlier generations
680x0 machines, where cache consistency and pollution were not big
concerns (the MIT work is more current.)

Paul