Re: translating C to Java language

agold@bga.com (Arthur Gold)
15 Dec 1996 15:49:04 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
translating C to Java language zahir@senan.Eng.Sun.COM (1996-12-01)
Re: translating C to Java language derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-12-03)
Re: translating C to Java language sby@fvr.usask.ca (1996-12-07)
Re: translating C to Java language agold@bga.com (1996-12-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: agold@bga.com (Arthur Gold)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Dec 1996 15:49:04 -0500

Re Bharadwaj's recent posting:

It really all comes down to what you mean by a "translator"...

If all that is needed is some way of producing Java code that is both
syntactically valid and semantically _equal_ to the C code input--that
shouldn't be too much of a task...if one wants the Java code to be
understood by humans--that's a tough one. In the former case, most of
what is needed is a "wrapper" for the C code...the latter case (in
which we need to attempt to preserve the 'flavor' of the original)
forces us to make deductions about the domain of the program.

From machine code to Java (and beyond) these are all languages that
are progressively abstract shorthands for programming a machine with a
von Neumann arcitecture--purely imperative in nature. They form a
ladder of abstraction. Typically we're going down the ladder (in
compilers, for example); C as portable assembler.

Coming down the ladder is easier that climbing up.
--
Artie Gold (agold@bga.com, agold@cs.utexas.edu)