Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code)

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
3 Dec 1996 20:49:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) andrey@ix.netcom.com (Andrey I. Savov) (1996-11-24)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-11-26)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) andrey@ix.netcom.com (Andrey I. Savov) (1996-12-01)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-12-03)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1996-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 3 Dec 1996 20:49:55 -0500

Derek M Jones <derek@knosof.co.uk> wrote

andrey@ix.netcom.com "Andrey I. Savov" writes:
> Well, you see, the gzip compression of executable code cannot give you
> a good idea about the entropy of the machine code, because gzip
> compresses everything as raw data.

Several people pointed this out in private e-mail. Some also pointed
out that data values would be very common. I had made the assumption
that because I was using large programs such effects would be small.
But I did not check this assumption :-(

> As for different CPUs I'd expect RISC code to have smallest entropy
> (compresses best).

I would agree with this.

| Do you think optmised code will have a higher or lower entropy?

> It's hard to say, I'd expect higher than non-optimized, because
> usually some redundancies are removed during the optimization.

Unoptimised code might have a higher compression ration because
it contains longer sequences of duplicate instructions. Optimisations
tend to mangle code -> fewer common sequences.

I guess we need some experimental results.

derek

--
Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd email: derek@knosof.co.uk