Re: Generating Java Bytecode

Andrew Lynch <lynch@frigg.cci.de>
24 Nov 1996 16:21:28 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Generating Java Bytecode bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode stephens@math.ruu.nl (Bruce Stephens) (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode torhr@storm.stud.ntnu.no (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode kuznetso@MIT.EDU (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode billms@ee.ucla.edu (Bill Mangione-Smith) (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-11-21)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode lynch@frigg.cci.de (Andrew Lynch) (1996-11-24)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode am56@dial.pipex.com (Stefan Heinzmann) (1996-11-24)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode guerby@gnat.com (1996-11-26)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode gvreugde@uwaterloo.ca (1996-11-26)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode jaidi@ubd.edu.bn (Nor Jaidi) (1996-11-26)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode Freek.Wiedijk@phil.ruu.nl (1996-12-01)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-12-01)

From: Andrew Lynch <lynch@frigg.cci.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Nov 1996 16:21:28 -0500

Jon S Anthony wrote:
> Hmmm, it seems (admittedly as only a user) that it works fine for Ada
> as well. Any reason (that I have not hit yet) for why you think
> otherwise?

In what way does it "work fine for Ada"? A colleague of mine has been
evaluating ObjectAda, mainly the GUIBuilder, but she also came across
the support for Java. From what I've heard it is not simply a code
generator that spits out bytecode, rather it is some mix of the Ada
and Java languages. (I may have misunderstood this somehow)

Whenever I hear about Ada and bytecode I expect a compiler that will
take (any/most) valid Ada programs and compile them to bytecode. I've
yet to see a system that actually does that.

eg. given the Ada program

with text_io; use text_io;
procedure main is
put_line("Hello world");
end main;

I expect to receive one or more .class files that I can load into
Netscape which will then display the text "Hello world".

Is this what all the "<insert_your_favorite_language> and Java" hype
is about, or have I missed something?

Andrew.

P.S. I too believe that Java bytecode is not an UNCOL, it's far too
restrictive for that. It is the "in" thing to have on your web page
at the moment, but I'm not sure about its uses as a portability tool.