Re: Extended Optimization using Peephole strategy

zs@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Zoltan Somogyi)
6 Nov 1996 13:47:55 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Extended Optimization using Peephole strategy bear@sonic.net (Ray S. Dillinger) (1996-11-05)
Re: Extended Optimization using Peephole strategy zs@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1996-11-06)
Re: Extended Optimization using Peephole strategy alcino@mundau.dcc.ufal.br (1996-11-10)
Re: Extended Optimization using Peephole strategy jgm@CS.Cornell.EDU (Greg Morrisett) (1996-11-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: zs@munta.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Zoltan Somogyi)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Nov 1996 13:47:55 -0500

"Ray S. Dillinger" <bear@sonic.net> writes:
>Basically, I am using a peephole optimizer to do most of the
>optimizing job -- but with additional information coded in the
>"instruction set" I'm using for my intermediate form, including
>variable lifetime expiry, semantic binding extents for variables and
>environments, and so on.

The compiler for the pure logic programming language Mercury uses a
technique that sounds similar to what you are describing. At certain
points in the IR code, the code generator includes pseudoinstructions
that give information such as which registers are live at that point.
Some of the optimizations that transform the IR depend on this information.
In fact, in my other window I am working on fixing a bug caused by these
annotations not being kept up to date by another optimization.

Zoltan Somogyi <zs@cs.mu.OZ.AU> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~zs/
Department of Computer Science, University of Melbourne, AUSTRALIA