Re: Type Inference Systems?

Joern Dinkla <dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de>
12 Oct 1996 22:11:51 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Type Inference Systems? sullivan@indra.com (1996-10-10)
Re: Type Inference Systems? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de (Joern Dinkla) (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? weidmann@papaya.logica.com (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dimock@deas.harvard.edu (1996-10-16)
Re: Type Inference Systems? bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Bruce McAdam) (1996-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Joern Dinkla <dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Oct 1996 22:11:51 -0400

On 10 Oct 1996, Steve Sullivan wrote:

> I'm interested in type inference systems, like Robin Milner's
> system for ML. Can you recommend:
>
> - any intro books or articles on type theory
>
> - any references on type inference that (hopefully)
> don't require a huge background in type theory.
> I have Milner's 1978 paper and a few others ...
> unfortunately they all are pretty theoretical.

The two chapters of Peter Hancock in Simon Peyton-Jones Book
"The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages". Prentice-Hall,
1987 provide an introduction to polymorphic type checking/inference.

The book "The Structure of Typed Programming Languages" by David
Schmidt, MIT-Press, 1994 provides an introduction to the application of
type theory to programming languages. Basic knowledge of
programming language theory is needed to read this (IMHO excellent) book.

Regards,

Joern

J\"orn Dinkla, Z\"ulpicher Stra\ss e 56, 50674 K\"oln, Germany
dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de +49-221-421723