Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family

buehlman@iwf.bepr.ethz.ch (Thomas Buehlmann)
10 Oct 1996 11:01:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1996-10-08)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family buehlman@iwf.bepr.ethz.ch (1996-10-10)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family luginb_c@simultan.ch (1996-10-15)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1996-10-15)
Re: Symbol Table problems in Pascal languages family josuka@inf.deusto.es (1996-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: buehlman@iwf.bepr.ethz.ch (Thomas Buehlmann)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Oct 1996 11:01:58 -0400

Paulo Jose Matos Lopes Pinto <pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt> wrote:
> I'm trying to do a compiler for a language that derives from Pascal
>(Oberon).
> The problem is with the symbol table for types, because the types have to
>be type-name compatible and not structured compatible, that makes a bit hard
>to manipulate the builtin names,like CHAR, REAL, among others.
> I decided to create symbols that relate with them, but this solution is a
>problem if the user decides to create an identifier with the same name that
>a builtin symbol.
> Some help would be welcome.

If you really look at the Pascal lined languages you realize that
builtins are reserved and may not be used as (declarable)
identifiers. Neither is it permissible to use the same names for types
and other identifiers. So you would have to check both tables in
either case.

If you want to implement Oberon I would recommend that you study the
publications available. There are some research reports
(www.inf.ethz.ch) but probably most comprehensive is

Project Oberon, the design of an operating system and compiler
by N. Wirth and J. Gutknecht
NY, ACM Press books, 1993
548 pages

It not only contains many explanations but also the important part of
the code.

Thomas