Re: partial redundancy elimination

Max Hailperin <max@crusell.gac.edu>
17 Sep 1996 00:16:38 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: partial redundancy elimination knoop@fmi.uni-passau.de (Jens Knoop) (1994-02-02)
partial redundancy elimination mnaef@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Naef) (1996-09-06)
Re: partial redundancy elimination vijay@crhc.uiuc.edu (Vijay Gupta) (1996-09-15)
Re: partial redundancy elimination bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (1996-09-15)
Re: partial redundancy elimination dejong@marengo.imec.be (1996-09-16)
Re: partial redundancy elimination max@crusell.gac.edu (Max Hailperin) (1996-09-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Max Hailperin <max@crusell.gac.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 17 Sep 1996 00:16:38 -0400

None of the other responses I've seen thus far have mentioned Knoop,
Ruething, and Steffen's "Optimal Code Motion: Theory and Practice,"
*ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems*, vol. 16,
no. 4 (July 1994), pp 1117-1155. Although there are so many important
papers on partial redundancy elimination and related topics that it is
hard to single any out, this is definitely one of the most important.

The orignal poster also asked for "introductory" material. He might
be interested in a handout I wrote for my undergraduate compiler's
course in which I summarized Knoop, Ruething, and Steffen's
approach to partial redundancy elimination. The URL is:
http://www.gac.edu/~max/prior-semesters/Spring-96/MC97/spr.ps

-Max Hailperin
  Associate Professor of Computer Science
  Gustavus Adolphus College
  800 W. College Ave.
  St. Peter, MN 56082
  USA

[P.S.: I didn't include anything on the handout about granting right
to reproduce it, since I hadn't intended it for other than internal
distribution. But you are welcome to reproduce it for educational
purposes so long as you leave it intact.]