Re: Question about Unicode in C and C++

Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk
6 Sep 1996 09:59:48 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about Unicode in C and C++ anthony@cs.utexas.edu (1996-09-06)
Re: Question about Unicode in C and C++ Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk (1996-09-06)
Question about Unicode in C and C++ derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-09-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Sep 1996 09:59:48 -0400

anthony@cs.utexas.edu (Hung Hing Anthony Pang) writes:
> Could somebody tell me that is there any Unicode support
> for C/C++ programs? i.e. functions available to convert
> ASCII to/from Unicode. Information for both Unix and
> Windows platforms are desired.

Can't help with the Windows stuff, but you may like to look at
the sam distribution from the Bell Labs folks. Sam's an editor
for Plan 9 and UNIX, and deals in Unicode internally. It reads
and writes files in UTF encoding, so you don't normally notice.
The sam distribution is not public domain, but is freely available,
so you can have a browse through the functions in its library.

Off-hand, I'm not sure whether you should be looking at
research.att.com, or one of the lucent sites now.

steve