Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books

paco@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Paul Havlak)
31 Jul 1996 19:20:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books mpg@teleport.com (1996-07-26)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books hbaker@netcom.com (1996-07-27)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books rfg@monkeys.com (1996-07-28)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books koopman@cs.cmu.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books paco@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1996-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: paco@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Paul Havlak)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 31 Jul 1996 19:20:30 -0400

Michael P. Gerlek <mpg@teleport.com> wrote:
>[newsgroups list trimmed]
>
>In article <31F8F094.5993@cisco.com> John Ahlstrom <jahlstro@cisco.com> writes:
>>
>> It seems that there are several classic, irreplaceable comp arch books
>> out of print, e.g.
>> [...]
>> Wulf's Compiler Optimization and Hydra books
>
>"Design of an Optimizing Compiler" by Wulf et al (North-Holland, 1975)
>is (was) available through University Microfilms (800-521-0600).

University Microfilms (http://www.umi.com/) has a program called
"Books on Demand" -- from their web pages:

Books on Demand
Out of print, but not hard to find

Books on Demand is a collection of over 136,000 out-of-print
books in UMI's vault, available for reproduction on receipt of your
order. (UMI's BookVault is a CD-ROM index to the collection.)

Formats:
Microform | Paper

In general, UMI's bread and butter is small print runs (e.g., single copies)
of books they have stored in microform. It shouldn't be too hard to
convince them to carry the classics of computer architecture and compilers
if the rights-holders are agreeable.

I'm not affiliated with UMI, but they do have my dissertation, and everyone
else's, in microform. It's been a long time since I ordered anything from
them, but I remember its being significantly cheaper (and more legal) than
photocopying.

--Paul
--
Paul Havlak havlak@rice.edu
Science Journalist Home office: (713) 942-8799