Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books

rfg@monkeys.com (Ronald F. Guilmette)
28 Jul 1996 10:56:12 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books mpg@teleport.com (1996-07-26)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books hbaker@netcom.com (1996-07-27)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books rfg@monkeys.com (1996-07-28)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books koopman@cs.cmu.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books paco@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1996-07-31)
Re: Out of Print Classic Computer Arch & Compiler Books henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1996-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: rfg@monkeys.com (Ronald F. Guilmette)
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers
Date: 28 Jul 1996 10:56:12 -0400

John Ahlstrom <jahlstro@cisco.com> writes:
> It seems that there are several classic, irreplaceable comp arch books
> out of print, e.g.
> [...]
> Wulf's Compiler Optimization and Hydra books
> Is there any way that we can get the copyrights returned
> to their authors and then figure out how to get them on-line?

That's a terrific idea. I hope someone does it.

Michael P. Gerlek <mpg@teleport.com> wrote:
>In the compiler world, these books are now out of print and quietly
>becoming lost to history:
>- "Program Flow Analysis: Theory and Applications" by Muchnik and
> Jones (Prentice-Hall, 1981)

I've been searching for a copy of this one myself for quite some time. If
anybody has one that they could do without, I'll be happy to give you top
dollar for it.

I've also been searching for a copy of the (now out-of-print) O'Reilly
COFF book. Same offer. If you have one that you don't need anymore,
I'd be more than happy to give it a good home (and give you some cash).

Our moderator writes:
>[I was at one point trying to put out a series of reissued computer classics,
>and got as far as getting permissions from Wulf et al., but I couldn't find
>a publisher to do it, and it's pretty risky to do it yourself unless you have
>a whole lot of pre-pub orders, like several thousand. -John]

That sounds like the best argument in favor of getting these useful, but
now out-of-print things online somewhere (for free distribution via the net).
--

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, CA -------- Infinite Monkeys & Co. ------------
---- E-mail: rfg@monkeys.com ----------- Purveyors of Compiler Test Suites -