getting symbolic C structure offsets (was: Re: C code validation service)

Jonathan Thornburg <thornbur@theory.physics.ubc.ca>
27 Jul 1996 21:42:50 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C code validation service derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-07-15)
Re: C code validation service egbert@torch.timeplex.com (1996-07-19)
getting symbolic C structure offsets (was: Re: C code validation servi thornbur@theory.physics.ubc.ca (Jonathan Thornburg) (1996-07-27)
Re: getting symbolic C structure offsets (was: Re: C code validation s rfg@monkeys.com (1996-07-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jonathan Thornburg <thornbur@theory.physics.ubc.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jul 1996 21:42:50 -0400

Stephen Egbert <egbert@torch.timeplex.com> asked for an
| [...] extended preprocessor (GNU cpp or otherwise) that
| can translate the C-styled structure offset for uses with assembly code
| using symbolic offset.

and our esteemed moderator commented

| I'd think you could hack something up by running the structure def
| through cc -g -S and using a perl script to extract the info from the
| .stabs entries into defines for your assembler code. [...]

I'm not quite sure if this is what Stephen was looking for, but the
very hack our moderator suggested comes as a standard utility with
perl, under the name 'c2ph', a.k.a. 'pstruct'.

As 'pstruct', this prints a nicely formatted table of C structure
types, member names, offsets, and lengths. As 'c2ph', it provides
pack/unpack formats and metainformation so perl code can easily
manipulate in-memory C structures.

From here, it's an SMOP (presumably in perl) to generate symbol
definitions, cpp #defines, or <your favorite syntax> to pass this
information to assembly programs.

- Jonathan Thornburg <bkis@island.net> (personal E-mail)
    U of British Columbia / Physics Dept / <thornbur@theory.physics.ubc.ca>