SimpleScalar processor simulation tools official release

dburger@cs.wisc.edu (Douglas Burger)
18 Jul 1996 23:56:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SimpleScalar processor simulation tools official release dburger@cs.wisc.edu (1996-07-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dburger@cs.wisc.edu (Douglas Burger)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Jul 1996 23:56:32 -0400

We are pleased to announce the official release of the SimpleScalar
simulation tool suite. These tools (distributed free of charge) allow
flexible simulation of modern processors, some features of which
include non-blocking caches, out-of-order issue, and speculative
execution.

The tool set defines its own architecture (similar to that of MIPS),
and comes with a version of GCC, the GNU binutils, and GLIBC, all
ported to this architecture. In addition, we provide four processor
simulators that cover the spectrum of speed versus accuracy. We also
include SimpleScalar x86, which provides functional simulation of the
x86 instruction set. SimpleScalar is quite portable and should run on
any platform that is supported by GNU (the x86 version currently runs
only on SunOS, however).

The documentation (in the form of a technical report) is available at:
ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/sohi/TR_1308.ps

This report describes how to download, install, and run the tools. It
also describes some aspects of the tools' internals. The software
itself is available at:
ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/sohi/Code/simplescalar/release.tar

We hope that you find these tools helpful in your research and
easy to use.

Doug Burger Todd Austin, Steve Bennett
Computer Sciences Department Intel Corporation
University of Wisconsin-Madison Hillsboro, OR

Contact: dburger@cs.wisc.edu