Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code

Walter Spector <wws@renaissance.cray.com>
9 Jul 1996 13:29:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ kik@zia.cray.com (1996-05-08)
Optimization of Uncommon Code (Was Java ByteCode ...) dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-06-30)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code (Was Java ByteCode ...) wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector) (1996-07-01)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe) (1996-07-02)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1996-07-03)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1996-07-03)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector) (1996-07-09)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code mac@coos.dartmouth.edu (1996-07-10)
Re: Optimization of Uncommon Code creedy@mitre.org (1996-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Walter Spector <wws@renaissance.cray.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jul 1996 13:29:59 -0400

Richard Weaver wrote:
> You have the wrong decade, it was the 1950s that were different...

> The first implementation of Fortran was on the IBM 704.
> The implementation of argument
> passing was that, on entry to a subroutine/function, initialization code
> would insert the argument addresses passed into each instruction referencing
> those arguments. Note "each", could take a while for routines with lots of
> references to their arguments and this occurred on every invocation.

YUCK!!!

Why was the address not simply added to the index at run-time
when needed? Shortage of registers? (I'm thinking about that
PDP-8 again...)
[The 704 had more registers than the PDP-8, but still pretty tight. -John]

> Users discovered that programs could be organized to avoid this overhead, by
> keeping arguments in the same (static) locations and having an initial
> invocation that was passed all arguments, thus filling in all addresses, and
> on later invocations specifying no arguments.

> [This revolting technique was still a win in 360 Fortran due to its slow
> copy in/copy out argument passing. -John]

I've seen this technique used on code ported Univac systems.
In one of my old Univac manuals, this is actually a documented
technique! I thought maybe this was an early attempt at 'object
oriented' programming!

Dwight VandenBerg writes:
> you spent a lot of
> your time figuring out overlay schemes and crunching your routines down
> to be smaller. So the idea of setting up your own stack and using it
> for arguments (instead of registers) and return values, was considered
> academic at best...

I think where the boat was really missed was with placing local data
arrays on a stack (though it sounds like Burroughs saw the light...)
Recursive calls were not needed and only confused the issue!

Jerry Leichter writes:
> The procedure call on the 6600 saved the return address *at a fixed location
> in memory*.

Yes, the RJ instruction was the single blot in the otherwise
beautiful RISC instruction set. The compilers did support an
'unsafe' calling sequence which simply stored the return address
in a register, then branched to the subroutine. On return one
would perform an indirect jump back. Fast and no memory references!

Walt
--
Walt Spector
(wws@renaissance.cray.com)