Writing an interpreter

Arne.Evertsson@Octalogic.se (Arne Evertsson)
1 Jun 1996 23:25:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Writing an interpreter Arne.Evertsson@Octalogic.se (1996-06-01)
Re: Writing an interpreter oplec@westminster.ac.uk (Psi) (1996-06-08)
Re: Writing an interpreter emcee@efi.com (1996-06-08)
Re: Writing an interpreter adf@idt.unit.no (1996-06-13)
Re: Writing an interpreter qjackson@direct.ca (1996-06-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Arne.Evertsson@Octalogic.se (Arne Evertsson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Jun 1996 23:25:40 -0400

I am writing an interpreter for a pascal-like programming language. I have
no previous experience of compiler/interpreter construction, so I am wondering

Which is easier:

                * Write a compiler that produces p-code, and find an existing p-code
interpreter.
                * Write my own interpreter

If I write my own interpreter I will write a program that executes a parse tree.

I write a compiler that produces p-code, I will have to learn p-code, and
then find an existing p-code interpreter (that runs under ms-dos/windows 3.1).

/Arne

Arne@Octalogic.se
[Well, there's always the P-code interpreter in Microsoft C. -John]