Re: ACM CDROM's (was: Re: Chaitin's Paper on Register Allocation

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
18 Apr 1996 00:34:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Chaitin's Paper on Register Allocation ashish@usl.edu (Ashish Ashtekar) (1996-04-11)
Re: Chaitin's Paper on Register Allocation preston@tera.com (1996-04-13)
Re: Chaitin's Paper on Register Allocation dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-04-16)
Re: ACM CDROM's (was: Re: Chaitin's Paper on Register Allocation hbaker@netcom.com (1996-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Apr 1996 00:34:40 -0400

dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) wrote:

> (Of course, getting the entire ouvre of the ACM onto CDROM would be an
> even more valuable contribution to the discipline)

I emphatically agree. According to 'highly placed sources', part of
the problem has been trying to decide in what format to store this
stuff in.

However, I would think that simply scanning it at some ridiculous
resolution -- e.g., 600 dpi -- should save virtually all of the
resolution that is available, and any additional processing can be
done downstream. TIFF G4 is a pretty compact format, at least for B/W
only text & pictures.

------

A few years ago, I called up ACM HQ to ask whether they had copies of
ACM's from the late 1950's, and they said they couldn't find them.

------

Many of the earlier Sigplan Notices were printed on acid-laced paper,
and have now crumbled to dust in some libraries. We're quickly
running out of time on some of these journals.

--
www/ftp directory:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/home.html