Michael Wolfe leaves OGI, joins PGI

Michael Wolfe <mwolfe@cse.ogi.edu>
6 Apr 1996 22:19:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Michael Wolfe leaves OGI, joins PGI mwolfe@cse.ogi.edu (Michael Wolfe) (1996-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael Wolfe <mwolfe@cse.ogi.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 1996 22:19:41 -0500

I have met many of you in the compiler community; it has come to my
attention that some of you have not heard that I am leaving OGI, and
that some interesting rumors have circulated about where I am going.
On the other hand, many of you probably don't care; if not, just skip
on to the next message.

On May 1, I will join the Portland Group, Inc., a Wilsonville compiler
development firm, as a software engineer. PGI is about seven years
old, has about 25 employees, and I've known the principle people
involved there since before I came to OGI. Since I cofounded and
worked at Kuck and Associates, Inc., before joining OGI, this is an
easy transition for me. Yes, PGI and KAI are competitors in some
areas, but I expect little friction. I looked at several other places
before accepting the offer from PGI; my family situation, with three
children getting ready to leave elementary school, forced me to focus
on a position in the Portland metro area. I will retain a faculty
appointment at OGI until my remaining PhD student graduates.

My reasons for the change are many and varied; I'll be glad to discuss
these over a beer. I think I am naturally academically inclined, and
perhaps when my children are out of college I will try to return to
academia; if so, I will look for a more traditional academic
atmosphere, as opposed to the small, private, under-endowed,
graduate-only OGI.
--
    new address:
    Michael Wolfe (mwolfe@pgroup.com)