Re: extending a grammar

franka@europa.com (Frank A. Adrian)
27 Mar 1996 00:08:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
extending a grammar maatwerk@euronet.nl (1996-03-12)
Re: extending a grammar foggia@amalfi.dis.unina.it (1996-03-21)
Re: extending a grammar platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (1996-03-25)
Re: extending a grammar mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (1996-03-27)
Re: extending a grammar franka@europa.com (1996-03-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: franka@europa.com (Frank A. Adrian)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Mar 1996 00:08:56 -0500

foggia@amalfi.dis.unina.it (Pasquale Foggia) wrote:
>As far as I know, there are at least two such languages still in use:

>1) lisp, with defmacro, allows to rewrite an expression in an almost
> arbitrary way before its evaluation. This is made possible by
> the fact that lisp expressions have the same structure of data,
> and thus can be processed using other lisp expressions.
> The drawback is that, in order to preserve this property,
> new expression types created with defmacro cannot be too much
> different from the traditional ones (i.e., full-parenthesized
> prefix expressions).

The last part of this statement is not correct. Because a macro in
LISP can be invoked on any character in the input stream, it is
possible to create completely arbitrary grammar extensions - without
parens, even - as can be attested to by many attempts to create
non-LISP syntax expression parsers within the system. The most robust
and full-featured one I'm aware of was in the InterLISP system. BTW,
for historical interest, most of these attemps have been unmittigated
failures. I guess when you've reached syntactic Nirvana, there's no
going back :-)

There was also an article a couple of years ago by some guys at
Microsoft who were dinking with adding computational macros to C++ (it
was either in the OOPSLA, LISP & FP, or DIMPL proceedings). It looked
like a horror.

>I agree with our moderator that an extensive use of these features
>can quickly lead to write-only programs.

However, their JUDICIOUS use is far too powerful to be ignored..

Frank Adrian
franka@europa.com