Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction

htak@eskimo.com (Henry S. Takeuchi)
14 Mar 1996 17:01:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction opl@esec.ch (Oliver Plohmann) (1996-03-08)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction simmons@bnr.ca (steve (s.s.) simmons) (1996-03-08)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction gclind01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu (1996-03-10)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction anton@a0.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1996-03-12)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction htak@eskimo.com (1996-03-14)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction sriram@iwase.tcs.com (1996-03-14)
Re: Wanted: introductory book on compiler construction platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (1996-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: htak@eskimo.com (Henry S. Takeuchi)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Mar 1996 17:01:11 -0500

Olli Plohmann wrote:
>I looking for an introductory/beginner level book on compiler
>construction. I have found some interesting books. Unhappily, I
>haven't found one that describes a compiler for an Intel box. ...

There was "A Small C Compiler" by James E. Hendrix (M & T Publishing).
I believe the book is now out of print. You might be able to find it
in used-book stores.

This book details a compiler which generates 8086 assembly language
code for a subset of C. There is a chapter on the 8086 code generated
for many of the C features. And there is an appendix explaining the
8086 architecture.

The compiler also sports a peephole optimizer. An interesting part is
the ability of the optimizer to match a PUSH with its corresponding
POP, and the ability to take advantage of this.

The compiler is a self-compiler, and an 8086 assembler (generating
.OBJ files) has been written with it. And the Payne-Hendrix library
has a lot of functions. So the compiler is very usable.

The compiler was developed when Microsoft still bundled a linker with
MS-DOS, so a linker was never written (to my knowledge).
--
Henry S. Takeuchi
htak@eskimo.com