Java front end?

ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
23 Feb 1996 00:28:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java front end? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1996-02-23)
Re: Java front end? Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk (1996-02-23)
Re: Java front end? mbjr@io.com (Mauricio Breternitz) (1996-02-24)
Re: Java front end? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1996-02-26)
Re: Java front end? peterw@coastnet.com (1996-03-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 1996 00:28:06 -0500

There is a student here who is interested in building a style checker
for Java as a project. It would save him a lot of time, and result in
a more powerful checker for everyone, if he could start from an
existing Java front end. What he needs is

lexical analyser (yes, we could build one using (f)lex, but
I'd rather he spent the time devising style rules)

parser (yes, we could build one using yacc/bison, but
I'd rather he spent the time writing down rationales for the rules)

semantic analyser (yes, he could build one using any of a number
of tools, but I'd rather he spent the time reducing as many rules
as possible to code).

We didn't notice anything in the catalogue of compilers and interpreters.
--
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~ok; RMIT Comp.Sci.
[Java looks like C++ even though the semantics are different; I'd start with