automatic inlining?

dash@hpbs3308.boi.hp.com (Dan Ash)
23 Feb 1996 00:25:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
automatic inlining? dash@hpbs3308.boi.hp.com (1996-02-23)
Re: automatic inlining? jmattson@hpax.cup.hp.com (Jim Mattson) (1996-02-23)
Re: automatic inlining? brianmcg@interaccess.com (1996-02-24)
Re: automatic inlining? snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU (Steven Novack) (1996-02-24)
Re: automatic inlining? jejones@microware.com (1996-03-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dash@hpbs3308.boi.hp.com (Dan Ash)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 1996 00:25:44 -0500

Do any of the current compilers do the following?

If a function is called from only one place does the compiler in-line
the code.

The reason I'm asking is I like to write small (one to two page)
functions that have high cohesion. This is for maintainability
reasons. Some of these functions are called only from one place. The
reason I don't place them there myself is for maintainability but in
some cases I'd give up maintainability for faster code. Now, if the
compiler can notice that the function is only being called from one
place and just in-line the function I'd have the best of both worlds.

So, do any of them do this?

Dan Ash