Re: Algol68 compiler ?

Arthur.Chance@Smallworld.co.uk (Arthur Chance)
21 Feb 1996 00:05:15 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algol68 compiler ? news@chaos.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be (1996-02-19)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? Arthur.Chance@Smallworld.co.uk (1996-02-21)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? ag129@ucs.cam.ac.uk (1996-02-21)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? Roger@natron.demon.co.uk (Roger Barnett) (1996-02-21)
Algol68 compiler ? dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-21)
Algol68 compiler ? derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones) (1996-02-22)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-23)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? pat@ktgroup.co.uk (1996-02-23)

From: Arthur.Chance@Smallworld.co.uk (Arthur Chance)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Feb 1996 00:05:15 -0500

news@chaos.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
> Does anyone know if there exists a PD Algol68 compiler ?

I'm fairly certain that at one point the Gnu people said that they'd
got someone who wanted to remain anonymous doing an A68 front end for
the Gnu compiler, but the latest Gnu task list is definitely calling
for volunteers for the job, so it looks like that fell through. A
shame as a Gnu A68 would make the language widely available.

Does anyone know what happened to the Algol 68RS system? AFAIR, this
was written at RRE (RSRE, DRA - the place keeps changing its name)
Malvern here in the UK as a successor to A68R, and it was written
specifically to be portable. It was sold commercially by a software
house whose name escapes my ageing memory, but sadly cost about 4
times the then going rate for compilers. Is it still available? Could
it be put into the public domain? (Unlikely, as the UK government
prefers the taxpayers to pay again for things their taxes have already
payed for. :-()