Re: Ada GC

boehm@parc.xerox.com (Hans Boehm)
14 Feb 1996 21:31:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Ada GC dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-10)
Re: Ada GC boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-13)
Re: Ada GC yanowitz@mcet.edu (1996-02-13)
Re: Ada GC kelvin@cs.iastate.edu (1996-02-13)
Re: Ada GC stt@copperfield.camb.inmet.com (1996-02-13)
Re: Ada GC rfg@monkeys.com (1996-02-13)
Re: Ada GC boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-14)
Re: Ada GC jsa@organon.com (1996-02-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: boehm@parc.xerox.com (Hans Boehm)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 14 Feb 1996 21:31:10 -0500

rfg@monkeys.com (Ronald F. Guilmette) writes:
>Check the C++ language standard... library section.

>(Certainly of the STL library operations have time complexity requirements
>in the draft standard.)

Actually that struck me as a mistake. Fortunately from what I saw,
they were only asymptotic complexity specifications. Presumably an
actual implementation would supply the constants. Even then, this is
too ill-defined to be a binding part of the language standard. It is
a useful guideline for high quality implementations.

If this indeed becomes part of the official standard, it would be nice
to answer questions such as:

Is an implementation that uses virtual memory conforming? Would this
answer change if the page replacement algorithm were not constant
time? (It might not be because some of the kernel data structure
updates might depend on the size of the address space. Of course this
is in the noise compared to the disk access.)

Assuming a VM based implementation can be conforming, then it must be
the case that very large constants (e.g. 10**5 times the meory access
time) are allowed for retrieving the next element from a list, for
example. Thus I should also be allowed to spuriously traverse all of
memory on a 16 bit machine as part of this operation, since that takes
less than 10**5 memory accesses. How about on a machine with 32 bit
addresses? 64 bit addresses? 2**64 is still a constant.

(I admit to only having read tiny pieces of the draft standard. If it
contains a clarification of these issues, I'd appreciate a pointer.)

Hans-J. Boehm
(boehm@parc.xerox.com)