yacc and lex

htwais@isd-pm.de (Helmut Wais)
9 Feb 1996 14:22:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
yacc and lex htwais@isd-pm.de (1996-02-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: htwais@isd-pm.de (Helmut Wais)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Feb 1996 14:22:14 -0500

I'm new with lex and yacc. Trying to write something like a
interpreter (using yacc because there is no yaic). It should scan a
file with a description of a data-format and at the same time scan the
data-file. Now there is something like:

while( field[0] == 'x' )
{
next field;
}

in the description-file. yacc is reading this once, finding it
syntactically correct. For the data-file i have to pass the body of
the loop more than once. I'm thinking 'bout an array of function
pointers that are executed when yacc reduces to a while-statement, for
each statement in the loop a pointer in the array.

Now i'm not very happy with this. Does anybody have a better idea ?

Help me please, Thank you.
[The array of function pointers approach is pretty popular. I've sure used
it a lot. -John]