Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM?

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
9 Feb 1996 12:01:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? stt@henning.camb.inmet.com (1996-01-30)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-01-31)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? rfg@monkeys.com (1996-02-01)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1996-02-01)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-04)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? macrakis@osf.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? shellgate!rgh@uu4.psi.com (Richard G. Hash) (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-12)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-02-13)
Re: marking mystery code dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-13)
Re: maintaining old C code Roger@natron.demon.co.uk (Roger Barnett) (1996-02-14)

From: salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 9 Feb 1996 12:01:14 -0500

gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee) writes:
|> The reason C is popular with coders is that, generally, they never have to
|> maintain other people's code. I've never met anyone responsible for C
|> language code maintenance who speaks well of the C Language.

Have you ever taken a look at the code for the gcc compiler, the X
windows package, or LINUX. These are three huge C projects that have
passed from coder to coder and they are a mess. They are full of
comments like "I think this code is right," and "This code segment
disabled until someone figures out what it is for." Nevertheless these
projects are very widely used, and users appreciate the times that they
succeed more than they complain about the few times that they fail.
--
Daniel J. Salomon -- salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA
              Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba