Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM?

Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
4 Feb 1996 12:40:00 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? hbaker@netcom.com (1996-01-30)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? stt@henning.camb.inmet.com (1996-01-30)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-01-31)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? rfg@monkeys.com (1996-02-01)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1996-02-01)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-04)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? macrakis@osf.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? shellgate!rgh@uu4.psi.com (Richard G. Hash) (1996-02-09)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? gmckee@cloudnine.com (1996-02-12)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-02-13)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com (W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)) (1997-01-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 4 Feb 1996 12:40:00 -0500

>This is an accurate representation of my experience with the PHILOSOPHY of
>the C Language. The most common result IMHO is the "freedom that this gives
>programmers to SOLVE new ways of CREATING problems" (note paraphrase).
>
>The reason C is popular with coders is that, generally, they never have to
>maintain other people's code. I've never met anyone responsible for C
>language code maintenance who speaks well of the C Language.
>
>Anyone out there who LIKES to maintain C code ?

I agree: C is a nightmare, and, as far as I am concerned, C++ is not
much better. We did have to port and maintain significant amounts of
C code written by people more interested in their "creativity" than in
software quality. Needless to say, thay had spent hours making
functions as obscure as possible by combining exotic glyphs in various
ways, and looking at modern compilers, their so-called performance
improvements were neglegible.

Some people claim that it is perfectly possible to write readable and
well-structured C code, it's just a matter of discipline. I might
agree to a given extent, but I would rather believe in a language
where such discipline is enforced by the syntax and the semantics.

Darius
[This is again straying too far from compilers; we all know how easy
it is to write awful C code, but I don't see that it has much direct
bearing on compiler construction. Feel free to show that I'm mistaken
if I am. -John]