Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM)

dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
1 Feb 1996 21:41:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) kelvin@cs.iastate.edu (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) jacobi@parc.xerox.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) jsa@organon.com (1996-01-31)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) mg@asp.camb.inmet.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) root@linux_pc.org (1996-02-03)
Re: Ada GC and real-time redhawk@flash.net (Ken & Virginia Garlington) (1996-02-03)

From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 1 Feb 1996 21:41:54 -0500

Chris says

"I'm sorry for your bad experiences. I object to statements like
"abundantly clear" and "most experienced practitioners". I also don't
believe that the design phase of a programming language is the moment
when real experiences about ral time or performance are made.

In my experience good use of garbage collection (e.g not making stupid
allocations) results in code more efficient then using manual
allocation."

It is not a matter of bad experiences, just that no one was pushing
for GC during the design phase of Ada 95. We consulted a LOT of people
during this period, and far from their being a consensus to require
GC, there was just ZERO interest in this issue.

The issue in hard real-time is of course not efficiency but
predictability and removal of non-determinism. That's a little bit
different. I agree that for general programming, GC is highly
desirable (it is for me a fundamental dividing line between low and
high level languages).