request for yacc/bison grammars (with test suites)

Achyutram Bhamidipaty <ram@cs.arizona.edu>
18 Dec 1995 19:15:06 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
request for yacc/bison grammars (with test suites) ram@cs.arizona.edu (Achyutram Bhamidipaty) (1995-12-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Achyutram Bhamidipaty <ram@cs.arizona.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Dec 1995 19:15:06 -0500

We have modified Bison to produce a hard-coded (directly executable)
LALR parser. We are currently looking for grammars that we can use to
test our generated parsers for speed.

Specifically we are looking for yacc/bison grammars that have been
stripped of semantic actions, the grammar should also include a test
suite that we can use to measure parsing speed. Even better would be a
grammar that had input files as lists of tokens that we could feed to
the parser to avoid lex overhead.

We are also interested in any compiler that uses yacc/bison grammar
specifications along with the rest of the compiler system. This would
give use the opportunity to measure the overhead involved in parsing a
variety of languages.

Completely unrelated aside: We looked at GCC, the parser is implemented
as a yacc/bison specification, unfortunately the semantic action have
deep hooks into the internals of the generated yacc/bison code.

A preliminary report of our work can be found at:

ftp://ftp.cs.arizona.edu/reports/1995/TR95-09.ps

If you have such a grammar or know of one please send email to

ram@cs.arizona.edu

Thanks.
-Ram