Looking for a good compiler/debugger combination

thoma57@ibm.net (Thomas Campbell)
9 Dec 1995 19:50:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for a good compiler/debugger combination thoma57@ibm.net (1995-12-09)
Re: Looking for a good compiler/debugger combination sethml@envy.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: thoma57@ibm.net (Thomas Campbell)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 9 Dec 1995 19:50:30 -0500

Sorry about the crossposts but, I have an urgent need for something in
particular. I'm looking for a C compiler (for some version of Unix
doesn't really matter even though I'd prefer Sun, SCO or AIX - in that
order). Now, this isn't an ordinary C compiler and maybe I don't
necessarily need the compiler but, the debugger is what I'm looking
for. I need a debugger that will debug macros. I use quite a few
macros in my code and they are pretty expansive. I'd like to be able
to debug those macros without having to place them within the C code
myself. For example:

#define mymacro \
if (a=3){ \
a=5 \
} \
else{ \
a=4 \
}

main()
{
mymacro
}

The code isn't perfect but, this is an example. Most debuggers will
start at mymacro and execute it as one statement. I'm looking for a
debugger that will actually step through the if statement line by
line. I've tried using the -P switch on the compiler but, that didn't
work either. Does anyone have a suggestion or a compiler/debugger
combination that would be available that I could purchase to do this?

Thanks for any and all help,
Thomas Campbell
thoma57@ibm.net