Re: 'Superoptimizers'

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:40:46 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: 'Superoptimizers' glew@ichips.intel.com (1995-11-09)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' cdg@nullstone.com (1995-11-14)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-11-15)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' theoblit@wam.umd.edu (1995-11-17)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' nmm1@cus.cam.ac.uk (1995-11-20)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' hbaker@netcom.com (1995-11-21)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' jmccarty@spdmail.spd.dsccc.com (1995-11-22)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' jan@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (1995-11-23)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-11-27)
Re: 'Superoptimizers' chase@centerline.com (1995-11-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.benchmarks,comp.compilers,comp.arch
From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:40:46 GMT

theoblit@wam.umd.edu (Jason Taylor) rote:

>Compilers should have a special mode where it
> systematically determines what switches are best for a program. And
> compile time should not be an issue at all if you use the, say, "-O4"
> switch in stead of just "-O". Spec92 is the cause of a zillion
> switches that no real scientist has time to care about. (I think that
> only the equiv. of "-O" should have been allowed in spec95 for this
> very reason, so that I don't pull out hairs wondering what I should do
> to shave some time off a 3 hour run.)

The program you are looking for is an essentially trivial shell script,
which simply runs the benchmark repeatedly with different switch settings,
or even better, commands a group of machines to each run the benchmark with
different settings. Since factories need programs to test machines anyway
during 'burn-in', a factory is an ideal setting to run such a program.

If the switch settings have any kind of tunable parameters, then you might
have an enormous space to search, in which case the usual kinds of optimization
techniques -- hill-climbing, simulated annealing, etc. -- would be useful.

I seem to recall that someone has actually obtained a US patent on a similar
sort of scheme.

--
www/ftp directory:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/home.html