Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.)

chase@centerline.com (David Chase)
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 03:23:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) chase@centerline.com (1995-11-06)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) hbaker@netcom.com (1995-11-10)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-11-13)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) davids@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (1995-11-14)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) cliffc@ami.sps.mot.com (1995-11-14)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) chase@centerline.com (1995-11-19)
Re: Parallelizing (WAS: Death by pointers.) mikey@banzai.ontek.com (1995-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chase@centerline.com (David Chase)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 03:23:15 GMT

David Petrie Stoutamire <davids@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>David Chase <chase@centerline.com> wrote:
>>[structs in generated code are problematical]

>While I agree with your other comments regarding C vs. C++ as an
>intermediate language, I don't understand the above.
>[they worked fine for me]

Part of this may be due to use of dated C compilers. Back in
1987-1990, at least one that I had access to was pretty stupid about
structure parameter passing (as in, I think it may not have been
thread safe). Another problems comes from thinking that you have some
idea what the alignment and size of your underlying data structures
are. On 32-bit RISC workstations nowadays, everyone seems to do the
same thing, but, again, back in 1990 there were some "weird" choices
made on other computers available to me.

speaking for myself,

David Chase
[PCC used a static temporary to return struct values, but does anyone still
use PCC? -John]