Re: Are these all really true ?

Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:04:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Are these all really true ? stefan.monnier@epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-09-21)
Re: Are these all really true ? ECE@dwaf-hri.pwv.gov.za (John Carter) (1995-09-21)
Re: Are these all really true ? carroll@auriga.cis.udel.edu (Mark C. Chu-Carroll) (1995-09-21)
Re: Are these all really true ? andrewn@kaleida.com (1995-09-21)
Re: Are these all really true ? cdg@nullstone.com (1995-09-21)
Re: Are these all really true ? graham.matthews@pell.anu.edu.au (1995-09-23)
Re: Are these all really true ? stefan.monnier@epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-09-25)
Re: Are these all really true ? baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1995-09-25)
Re: Are these all really true ? bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-09-25)
Re: Are these all really true ? cdg@nullstone.com (1995-09-26)
Re: Are these all really true ? ludemann@expernet.com (1995-09-27)
Re: Are these all really true ? J.Biddiscombe@rl.ac.uk (The Lord of Darkness) (1995-09-27)
Re: Are these all really true ? ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1995-09-28)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:04:41 GMT

In article 95-09-127,
Corrin Lakeland <lakeland@sans.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
] > * Memory is free, speed is what is worth optimizing.
]
] Which would most users prefer, for a program to be 10% faster or to use
] 10% less memory? and while I haven't looked very much into memory

I guess it all depends on your position: if those 10% more memory
imply that you start thrashing, you probably prefer 10% less memory
usage cause those 10% "speed" increase won't be noticeable. As a
user, I prefer a program that half the size to a program that twice
as fast in most cases: most of my programs are "fast enough" (I'm not
doing using any kind of CPU-heavy programs: only a window manager,
text-editor, mail reader. Even my LISP compiler is fast enough when
compiling and it's too slow to be interactive when I test my programs
(which are slow because of algorithms which haven't been tuned yet)).

I care a lot more about other users running big LISP jobs than about
other users leaving a broken emacs take 99% of CPU time (as you can
see, I'm not using much of my CPU since there is often 99% available
to a broken process). The only noticeable effect of a CPU-bound
process on my environment is my background animation getting slower
:-)

Stefan