Re: Good debuggers for Sun object files?

pfutz@ix.netcom.com (pfutz)
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 05:03:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Good debuggers for Sun object files? pfutz@ix.netcom.com (1995-09-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pfutz@ix.netcom.com (pfutz)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 05:03:01 GMT

Sun's steep price for the Sparcworks makes me wonder if there are any
competing commerical C++ programming environments out there that will
allow me to step through the code to debug it, similar to using
"gdb", but using object files produced by the Sun "CC" compiler.
I've been able to locate a Dr. Dobb's Journal article on ANSI C
compilers, but nothing on the C++ side.

Will "gdb" do this? I have not found any documentation that it does,
although I have heard that it will. In fact, I called up the FSF,
and the lady there said SHE thought it did, although I don't know if
she's a programmer. And even if it does, is it reliable? Good? Are
there other alternative solutions?

Please email me your responses. If there's good stuff, I'll edit the
replies and post them up in one coherent post. (If you are a
salesperson for the compiler, please state so in your letter!)

Thanks in advance!

pfutz