GCC code generator docs

platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:35:58 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GCC code generator docs platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (1995-09-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 11:35:58 GMT

I should think this is a FAQ, for which I apologise, but anyway.

I'm needing to port a C compiler to my new, rather wacky architecture in a
bit of a hurry. We have an in-house C compiler but I need something that is
very production quality. The obvious options are lcc and gcc.

I have the lcc book, and feel fairly relaxed about doing the code
generator. I suspect that gcc's output is better optimised than lcc,
so maybe I should use gcc instead. Howver, I find the texinfo docs on
the code generator interface a little sparse. Can anyone point me at
tutorial documentation or useful examples? Does anybody have opinions
on lcc vs gcc?

                                                  Adrian

--
    Dr Adrian Johnstone, Dean of the Science Faculty, Dept of Computer Science,
        Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.