Re: thread static

Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:03:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: thread static Roger@natron.demon.co.uk (Roger Barnett) (1995-08-21)
Re: thread static pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-08-21)
Re: thread static mfinney@inmind.com (1995-08-22)
Re: thread static erik@kroete2.freinet.de (1995-08-22)
Re: thread static mercier@cinenet.net (1995-08-24)
Re: thread static meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1995-08-24)
Re: thread static stefan.monnier@epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-08-28)
Re: thread static johnr@numega.com (1995-08-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@epfl.ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:03:52 GMT

Erik Corry <ehcorry@inet.uni-c.dk> wrote:
] But they could perhaps cache the stacks. When you destroy a thread, you
] keep the extensible stack, and you can use it for future threads without
] having to go to the kernel to get a new one. So it's quite possible to
] make a lightweight thread without going to the kernel.

This is correct and makes my claims even more true (my claim was that
forcing to go through the kernel (because of the paging tricks) for
context switches and thread creation/destruction was a bad idea).

] To the good objections to thread static variables that you mentioned

Please reread my message: it didn't object anything to thread-static
variables, it objected against one specific way to implement them.

Stefan