Re: Need info on incremental compilers.

bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (Bill Leonard)
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 22:34:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need info on incremental compilers. march@iis.nsk.su (1995-07-31)
Re: Need info on incremental compilers. Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk (1995-08-04)
Re: Need info on incremental compilers. bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-08-14)
Re: Need info on incremental compilers. reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl (1995-12-28)
Re: Need info on incremental compilers. stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch (Stefan Monnier) (1995-12-30)
Re: Need info on incremental compilers. reinder@neuretp.biol.ruu.nl (1996-01-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (Bill Leonard)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 22:34:40 GMT

march@iis.nsk.su (Mark Marchukov) writes:
> 1) Are there faster alternatives to the classic edit--compile--link--run
> procedure other than incremental compilation and interpreters?

The Harris NightView debugger provides something called a "patchpoint"
which allows you to "patch in" an arbitrary expression or assignment,
including function calls, while you are debugging. This allows you to fix
simple problems, like leaving out an initialization, without recompiling or
relinking. Once you make the patch, the new code is executed without
debugger intervention, so there is really no performance penalty.

We also have plans to allow you to load in a new version of a compilation
unit, so if you have a more complicated problem to fix, all you have to do
is recompile (no relinking) and load the new object module into the
debugged program. This feature is not yet implemented, but we see no
technical obstacles (just not enough time to do everything at once :-).

--
Bill Leonard
Harris Computer Systems Corporation