Re: debuggers - request for information

reid@HASKELL.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU (Alastair Reid)
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 02:57:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: debuggers - request for information dmurphya@cix.compulink.co.uk (1995-07-18)
Re: debuggers - request for information baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1995-07-19)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information ok@cs.rmit.edu.au (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information sriram@tcs.com (1995-07-20)
Re: debuggers - request for information R.Sosic@cit.gu.edu.au (1995-07-21)
Re: debuggers - request for information reid@HASKELL.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU (1995-07-22)
Re: debuggers - request for information bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1995-07-25)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-07-26)
Re: debuggers - request for information boggs@osage.csc.ti.com (1995-07-27)
Re: debuggers - request for information 100341.3447@CompuServe.COM (Clive Harris) (1995-08-01)
Re: debuggers - request for information pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (1995-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: reid@HASKELL.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU (Alastair Reid)
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 02:57:52 GMT

Arne Watnelie (arnew@ifi.uio.no) wrote:
> [snip]
> 3) Have anybody made any creative, new debuggers who breaks the tradition
> of using breakpoints, stepping etc.? Implementing new, untraditional
> approaches to the debugging task?
> (Like when people suddenly made cursor-oriented editors instead of
> line-oriented/command-oriented editors.)
> [snip]

The SML-NJ debugger has a weird feature which lets you jump backwards
or forwards in time and view the program state.

This works by taking occasional snapshots of the system state. When
you jump back in time, you restore to the closest state and run
forwards to the time you wanted.

The snapshots are reported to be pretty small because SML programs are
mostly declarative and so contain few variable updates. I can't
remember how they deal with IO operations.

Internally, the debugger works by performing a source-to-source
transformation of the syntax tree adding any debugging info thatmay be
required. Sadly, this transformational approach imposes a high
overhead on execution time: a factor of 2 or 3.

%A AP Tolmach
%A AW Appel
%T Debugging Standard ML without reverse engineering
%B Proc ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming, Nice
%I ACM
%D June 1990

Alastair Reid
Yale Haskell Project