Testing compilers

"G|nter Nagler" <gnagler@ihm.tu-graz.ac.at>
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 12:44:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Testing compilers spencer%bela@gatech.edu (1990-03-19)
Re: Testing compilers kuiper@cs.ruu.nl (1990-03-20)
Testing compilers gnagler@ihm.tu-graz.ac.at (G|nter Nagler) (1995-07-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "G|nter Nagler" <gnagler@ihm.tu-graz.ac.at>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 12:44:27 GMT

Hi,

I am writing a C compiler and would like to know which technics for
testing you suggest or prefer. Currently I only take some of my own
C programs and send it through the compiler that generates debug
output that represents the internal structure of code, types,
symbols. I check if the error/warnings are correct and pick some
difficulter parts of the source and compare it manually to the
generated output.

I fear that my compiler will adopt my style of C programming and
accept only programs that are written in my personal style.
But I want that the compiler correctly handles any valid and
invalid C program.

Thanks for any hints
    guenter
Guenter Nagler
JOANNEUM RESEARCH, Institute for HyperMedia Systems (IHM)
Schieszstattgasse 4A, A-8010 Graz, Austria
email: gnagler@ihm.tu-graz.ac.at
[There are lots of C test suites available, several by readers of this group.
-John]