C++ parsing tools

"Steve Harrington" <Steve.Harrington@kbsi.com>
Thu, 11 May 1995 15:51:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ parsing tools Steve.Harrington@kbsi.com (Steve Harrington) (1995-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Steve Harrington" <Steve.Harrington@kbsi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 15:51:42 GMT

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for infor on C++
parsers and C++ front ends. My question may have been a tad
ambiguous, but people seemed to have disambiguated it successfully.

As promised, here is a summary of what folks told me. If I've left
anything out, please add to the list.

I received several responses. Some of them are commercial and quite
expensive. Others are public domain. I have not had time to
investigate them yet, so let me know if you learn anything good or
bad about any ot them. Here are some excerpts from email I received:

---------
PCCTS
----------
C++ Auditor (commercial tool) email jss@declarative.com
----------
Nathan Myers c++ parser, written in c++. I did not build or run it, though.
Get it from:
ftp://ftp.uu.net/net.sources/c++.scanner.Z
---------
Take a look at cppp which can be found on ftp.cs.brown.edu. Also there
is the C++ parser you can get from the pccts.
---------
There's a commercial tool called Logiscope which provides static and
dynamic analysis for a large number of languages including, AFAIK, C++.
Its a Unix and VMS Motif-based product rather than a PC one, so its
not that cheap, but it does provide "hooks" for adding extra bits on to.
It comes from a French company called Verilog who have a North American
distributor based in Dallas, phone: 214 241 6595.
--------
There is a tool called Cocktail - was a research tool (i believe there is
still a PD version). It is now a fully commercial tool and either comes
with c++ grammar or you can buy it. I don't have the info easily
available as my mail box got deleted. However, if no one else provides
you with the details (it is produced by a german company) then I will try
to dog it out from other sources. Cocktail commercial version is quite
expensive, although people tell me it os very good.

Also, MKS lex/yacc may have a C++ grammar.
---------
There is also the Edison Design Group (EDG) C++ front-end.
We have about 30 commercial licensees of our front end technology
including companies like Silicon Graphics, Novell, Cray Research,
Siemens-Nixdorf, Centerline, Tartan, etc.
email: jhs@edg.com
----------
AR Software (arsoftware@aol.com) has a rather sophisticated C++
pre-processor to which they will sell source code.
(This one doesn't seem to be C++, but rather C)

        ... on a C parse tree builder, its not quite done, but
        some people have started grabbing version 0.0 already:

        ftp.cs.wisc.edu:coral/tmp/spf/ctree.0.0.tar.gz

If anyone knows of others, add to the list or email me.

-Steve Harrington
-Texas A&M University