Moderator on the road in Australia

johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
Thu, 11 May 1995 06:15:49 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Moderator on the road in Australia johnl@iecc.com (1995-05-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 06:15:49 GMT

You may have noted that there's it's been taking up to a week for
comp.compilers messages to get posted lately. That's because your moderator
has been travelling, and it's a lot slower to process messages while
telnetted in at 14.4kbps than it is when you're sitting in front of your
workstation.

The good news is that I've finally caught up. The bad news is that next
week I'm leaving for a month in Australia and Japan. I have two Internet
providers in Australia lined up and I have a bag full of adapter plugs, so
that barring the usual catastrophes, I should be able to get in every day or
two. Japan is more problematic (can anyone offer telnet access in Osaka?)
so there may be 14 days or so delay while I'm there until I get back to the U.S.

I suppose I could appoint a vice-moderator, but traffic usually tails off in
early June anyway as U.S. and European schools close for the summer, so if
worst comes to worst, comp.compilers will take a couple of weeks vacation.
All messages that arrive during the hiatus would of course be saved and
processed when I get back.

Incidentally, I'll be on a book tour in Australia, with an astonishing
number of radio and TV interview and call-in spots scheduled. If you're
in Australia and are wondering what your moderator sounds or (horrors!)
looks like, FTP iecc.com:pub/file/aus-sched.txt or mail "send
aus-sched.txt" to compilers-server@iecc.com.

Regards,
John Levine, comp.compilers moderator, johnl@iecc.com